Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Biggest money saver of all...

Flour.  Yep, seems silly doesn't it?  Most definitely the biggest money saver of the month for me. The journey that I have been on these last few years had led me down many paths--cooking more from scratch definitely being one of them (...as I am sure you have already gathered if you have been following along...)

Now, I know that I do more cooking and baking than most people and there are 3 reasons why:
1.  I love to do it.
2.  It means less "junk" in my food--less preservatives, fillers, artificial flavours and colours--I have more control.
3.  It is a HUGE money saver..


I sat down today to do some math...here is what I found:

Approximately every 3 months  I purchase a 20kg bag of white flour. It costs me $11.99.

Here is what I do with it:
48 loaves of bread
12 batches of tortillas (96 total)
12 batches of cookies (that is batches, not dozens...)
6 cakes
12 pizzas or calzones or garlic sticks (same dough recipe)
8 other projects (like muffins or buns or specialty bread...)

In my best guess-timate fashion,  if you were to purchase all these items at the grocery store or bakery--it would cost you almost $500!!!  Even considering all the extra items I would need to purchase (like sugar, yeast, cheese, veg, butter etc...) to make ALL of these items, my cost would still be under $150!  That's a savings of $350!! In just 3 months!  Whoa!

If you haven't been inspired so far--perhaps your pocket book will inspire you to make a few changes :)  having a  bread machine was a HUGE help for me in getting things started--why not give it a try?

Grandma's Bread adapted for the bread machine:
Add to the pan in this order:
1 1/2 cup hot water
1tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp butter
3 cups flour
2 tsp quick rise yeast.
Set on Sandwich Bread setting and let it go :)  3 hours you should have a lovely loaf of bread!!


For the more adventurous and pure of heart:
Grandma's Bread (...really, my Grandma's bread recipe!)
In a very large bowl combine:
1/3 cup sugar
4 tsp salt
1tbsp butter
4 cups very hot water.

Add:
4 cups flour and mix until flour is combined

Add:
2 more cups flour 
10 tsp quick rise  yeast (a bulk pkg at the Bulk barn is your best bet--CHEAP!)

Mix.

Add:
2-3 more cups of flour and mix in well, you may need to use your hands now.
Turn out onto floured board and begin to knead.  Add more flour by the 1/2 cup or so until no longer sticky. 

Knead about 6-10 minutes.

 Wash the large mixing bowl you started with in hot water.  Dry and coat lightly with oil.  Place dough into bowl and cover to rise.  Punch down after about 1 hour (or when dough has doubled in size). Let rise again and punch down after about 45 min or so.  Place dough on board and cut into 4 even chunks.  Shape dough into balls and then roll lightly into oblong ovals to fit into bread pans.  Let rise about 30-45 min.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.  Take out of pans and let cool on rack.


Makes 4 loaves
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I remember when i babysat you and your sister, you guys loved kraft cheese slices on white bread, under the broiler!!! You've come a long since then :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Tammy! We called those "cheese in the oven"--I remember too!

    ReplyDelete