Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hmmm...

Today (well, many days actually, but today especially...), I am wondering why food companies feel the need to make "healthy" processed food options (like PC Blue Menu), when they have the option of just making their products healthier period?

It perplexes me that they feel the need to make a REALLY unhealthy food product (like meatballs) and then create an entire new line of products (like Blue Menu Meatballs) to add to the mix--can't they just make the meatballs with less junk in them to begin with?  Hmmm...

I had a roommate in university who introduced me to these..of course, I have altered the recipe over the years, but the idea is the same...

Porcupine Meatballs
1 lb ground meat (beef or turkey both work well)
1small onion very finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
cracked black pepper
1 egg
1 cup rice partially cooked**


Mix all ingredients together and form into 1-2 inch balls.  Place in a 9x13 casserole dish cover with your favourite tomato sauce and bake for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Serve with pasta or on sandwiches.  


**to partially cook rice, use half the water it calls for and cook until the water has been absorbed, cool and add to the meatballs.  (...the original recipe called for minute rice--but I have such a hard time bringing myself to use it..)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment