Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Cereal Aisle is My Nemesis...

Total meltdown in the cereal aisle this weekend...it has become my nemesis.

"Mom, can I have Apple Jacks, How about Fruit Loops?  I would really like to try (fill in the blank here, there are too many to mention....)"  Ummm....how about NO?  "But this one is "healthy"!"--yeah right!  So, we had a lesson this weekend in the middle of the cereal aisle...one of us ranting, the other  ignoring.

I felt that it was time to really explain, to the best of my ability, the reasons why I won't buy cereal at the grocery store.  I am not sure how much she paid attention to, but I do know that I heard a little "Oh, I see" during part of the rant in the store.
Here are a few of the reasons why I won't buy cereal...this is a general list, and each item certainly does not apply to all cereals, but you get the drift...

*too much sugar
*have you looked at the ingredient listing?  If it has more than 5 ingredients  and/or more than one I can't pronounce or don't know what it is, it won't make it into the cart
*artificial colours and/or flavours
*too many preservatives and additives
*too much sodium
*sneaky marketing tactics--directed towards our children  Have a look here Cereal Marketing
*"health" cereals that have more sugar, sodium and derived fibres than necessary
*little nutrition (breakfast is the most important meal--do you really want to start it with little or no nutrients?)

So, all that being said--what do you have for breakfast that is healthy, that is good for you, that is tasty, that is quick?
If you haven't already, you can try:
Breakfast Pita's
Granola
Oatmeal
or
pancakes
Granted, the pitas granola and pancakes take a little forethought in preparation--but the granola will keep for weeks in a sealed container, and the pita's and pancakes freeze like a dream to reheat in the toaster.

Fruit Salad
(enough for 2-3 breakfasts--will keep for a couple of days in the fridge--you can substitute just about any fruit or berry that you like!)


1 apple chopped into chunks
1 banana sliced
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries sliced
2 peaches sliced
Squeeze of lemon and zest from half a lemon or orange
1-2 tsp sugar to taste


Add all fruit together, toss well and determine if you need more sugar.  Allow to sit a bit before eating to allow the juices to mingle--in fact you can make it the night before if you like--although if it is going to sit overnight or for a couple of days, I will omit the banana and substitute an orange or more berries)  :) 
Serve with yogurt, top with nuts or a bit of granola--what could be easier or better for you?

1 comment:

  1. You are a stronger woman than I am! Although a good compromise for us is that the Easter Bunny brings a box of one of those much desired cereals.

    ReplyDelete