Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Delinquent!

I know, I know, I have become a delinquent blogger...summer is such a distraction!  I have had good intentions every day of sitting down with the laptop and plugging in a quick recipe for you, letting you know what has been happening in our little world, what's growing and harvesting in the garden...but alas, each day the sunshine has beckoned--distracting me with its bright light.

Today, however, it is raining...yahoo!  The first rain in over a month--boy do my gardens need it!  The tomatoes and peppers and tomatillos are crying for the moisture--I hope it rains All Day!

~Our local grocery store is starting to purchase some of its produce direct from local farmers (...instead of the docks in Toronto).  I picked up some fresh spinach to make this salad--my Mom used to make this as "company salad"--was one of my favourites then, and still is now...we have had it twice this week for dinner!


Spinach Salad


Dressing:
4 eggs
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 tsp salt
Whisk all together and add 1 cup cider vinegar ( or white if  you prefer).
Cook on the stove, med high heat until slightly thickened (about 5-6 minutes)--remember to keep stirring. Cool completely and pour into jars.  Will keep for weeks in the fridge...


I bag of spinach--no need to use baby spinach, go for the gusto!
10 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small red onion sliced very thin.


Combine spinach, bacon, and onions with about 3/4 cup dressing.  Toss and serve.


Tip:  this salad is great with a little added extra's like sunflower seeds and roasted pecans.  It also makes a great dinner salad with sliced pork tenderloin or ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment