Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Asparagus Schmaragus

It has taken me some time to come around to Asparagus.  As a kid, my Mom and Dad would hover over their Creamed Asparagus on Toast like it was the most precious and delectable meal known to man.  My sister and I didn't get it.  We would always have to "just try it!", but we just didn't like it...no matter how hard we tried.
But, there is reward for persistence!  I have come to enjoy asparagus over the last few years. (I figure as a local food activist, I kind of have to! :)

For me, it really came down to 2 things...1.  impatience at waiting for good, local food (after a  loooong winter of imported veggies), 2. experimenting with recipes--reaching outside of that "steam your asparagus" box.

Here is a brand new recipe I developed last night for dinner-I did make it as a side dish, but it was so delicious, next time it will be the entree!

Most Delicious Asparagus 

1 pound of Asparagus (woody ends cut off, and cut on an angle into 2 inch pieces)
4-5 wild leeks (ramps) sliced 
2 green onions chopped roughly
1/2 cup walnut pieces
zest of one lemon (and a good squeeze of juice)
pepper to taste
1/4 cup feta crumbled.

Saute asparagus and ramps together in a little butter until asparagus is tender crisp. ( about 5 minutes)   Add green onions, walnut, lemon zest and lemon juice, saute for one minute.  Take off heat, add feta and pepper, toss and serve immediately.

Tip:  don't have ramps?  You can substitute garlic if you like and/or leeks for the green onions too!

No comments:

Post a Comment