Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

My Freezer in-a-Post...

One of the things I love about having a little roasted turkey or chicken in the freezer, is that it makes for one easy and fast dinner when you are in a rush, or don't have a lot of extra energy to spare.  This was the last of our $10 turkey (...I think we are on at least meal 8...but I will post all that, once I have compiled all the info :)

Someone had messaged me with a question about how much and what I keep in my freezer-- so I took a look today and thought I would share.

 Keep in mind, I only have an "over the fridge" freezer that I use for our groceries. (I do have a small upright freezer the size of a bar fridge, but truth be told, I usually only use it for Christmas cookies).

-bag frozen peas or mixed veggies
-1and 1/2 pkg Schneiders Octoberfest sausage
-pkg chicken legs/thighs
-pkg stewing beef
-1/2 jar tomato sauce
-1/2 can diced tomatoes
-container of chopped rhubarb
-container of raspberries
-2 loaves of bread
-1pkg pitas/naan bread
-bread crumbs
-6 frozen bananas
-1 large container of chicken stock
-1 container of chicken soup
-2 small containers of turkey stock
-1/4 pack bacon
-perogies
-2 cup container of roasted turkey
- a few other small misc items like tomato paste, ice cube trays etc...

I find cooking for 3 people, that many times recipes that I make will only require a half can of tomato sauce or tomato paste or dices tomatoes--so, I will use half and freeze half for the next time I need it :)

There are also a couple of items that I find useful in MANY recipes or quick meals--like the Pita's/Naan Bread.  I use them for sandwiches, toast, pita crisps, pizza's, garlic bread!  So useful--and you get 10 in a pack for only $2.49!

And the frozen bananas?  Any time we have bananas starting to brown--you know, the ones no one will eat, no matter how many times you tell them to pack it in their lunch!--I throw them in the freezer--that way I always have some for banana loaf, or muffins or cake :) (Note: they will turn black in the freezer--this is totally normal!!)

So there you have it--my freezer in a post--crazy!

Pita Crisps--great on the side of almost any meal--but especially soup!
1 tbsp Cajun Style Seasoning (you can buy it or make your own)
2-3 tbsp soft butter
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3-4 pita's (greek style, or naan bread)

Mix butter and seasoning. Spread on pitas and top with Parmesan cheese.  Cut into wedges and place on baking sheet.  Cook for 8 min at 375 degrees.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment