Somebody please tell me when we all got "too dumb" to know how to cook and how to eat--marketers have convinced us we don't have the time, we don't have the skills and we just aren't smart enough to figure things out on our own. I don't know about you, but it sure gets my hackles up!
(...because we do have the time--20 min or less for some great dinners!, we do have the skills--come on I know you can chop and saute vegetables! and we are smart enough! :) There, 'nuff said.
Here is all we need to know about eating healthy:
1. Eat more fruits and vegetables than any other food group during the day.
2. Choose foods that are as close to "natural" as possible--butter vs. margarine, full fat sour cream vs ultra-low fat, etc. In other words, the less processed the better...
3. Eat all things, but in moderation-no need to deprive yourself!! (... Sometimes you just need a few chips!)
4. Think about what you buy, question the marketing thrown at you, and make eating GOOD food a priority!
Great Healthy Dinner in under 20 minutes--from start to finish!
Sesame Noodles with Napa Cabbage--adapted from Vegetarian Times
- 3 Tbs. peanut butter
- 2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. rice wine (optional)
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar (or white)
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes or 1/2 tsp. chile sauce
- 10 oz. long noodles, such as udon or spaghetti
- 1/2 lb. napa cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 red pepper (cut into very fine strips)
- 2 green onion chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Whisk together peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and red pepper flakes in saucepan.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage, peppers and onion in colander over sink. Warm Sauce.
- Drain noodles over cabbage in colander to wilt cabbage. Transfer noodles and cabbage to serving bowl, add sauce, and toss until combined.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds, and serve.
Tip: This recipe is just as good cold as it is hot--so make a little extra and have dinner tonight, and lunch tomorrow!