Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

So many things to share...

Sometimes I sit down to write my daily post, and there are so many things that come to mind to share with you, I have a hard time choosing what to write about!  My little brain has so many things to share, so many recipes to give you-it's an overload!

I promised last week to share more "Peasant Food" recipes with you, and I have a favourite to share today that uses- Gasp! - a frozen food item...

Here is the reason I wanted to share this recipe to day--to offer you a glimpse into all the things that my little brain things about when at the grocery store--to offer you a perspective that you may or may not already employ when grocery shopping for your own family.

When I do purchase a prepared (ie canned or packaged, even some dairy) or frozen item there are a couple of things I look at.  I compare the price and the quantity of the different brands available  (cause I am always looking to get the most bang for my grocery buck...).  I look at the ingredient listings.  It always amazes me how much crap they put into prepared foods, and I am always looking for the least processed--closest to what I can make at home ingredients.  One of the other things I look at is the sodium content...I don't want more sodium than necessary, and you will be surprised at how different brands can vary on this topic!

 So my challenge to you today is to LOOK at the ingredient listings, the sodium content and the price on the products that you do buy...you may just be surprised at the outcome!

Baked Perogies 
1 pkg of Frozen Perogies (choose the brand you like best--I like cheddar and potato by Cheemo)
2 green onion chopped
1/2 red pepper finely diced
1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or marble are both good choices for this one).
Drop frozen perogies into boiling water and cook until they float.  Remove from water.
Generously butter a casserole dish and place perogies in a single layer into the casserole.  Top with onion, peppers and cheese.  Bake for about half an hour at 350 degrees, or until the cheese is bubbling and crispy.  Serve with sour cream or salsa.

Tip: this can easily be made into a meal by adding precooked sliced sausage (it is a great way to use up leftover sausages!) and some veg on the side!


Enjoy!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment