Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mmm...

The farther I go along this food path, the more I enjoy richly flavoured foods like Indian and Thai, Middle Eastern. The farther away we get from fast food and store bought pre-made foods, the more my tastebuds revel in exotic flavours!

Here is a great recipe I adapted from www.about.com--quick and easy to make extra--super flavourful, vegetarian and SOOO good for you!  It is great served over rice or scooped up with Naan Bread (...which I found a recipe online for too--but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet!  I will let you know the results when I do!)

Red Lentil Dal
  • 1 T. sesame oil
  • 1  finely chopped white onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
  • 4 cups water or vegetable broth
  • 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 1tsp cumin
  • 2tsp curry powder
  • 1tsp chili powder
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro


Heat oil and add onion, then ginger and garlic.  Cook until onions are translucent.  Add water, lentils, seasonings.  Heat to boil, turn down heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add tomato paste and more water if necessary/or continue to simmer if too liquid.  Stir in cilantro and serve.  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment