Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's Like a Flavour Explosion!!!

Don't you just love when you try a new recipe, or a new version of a recipe, and it is even better than you expected?  It isn't very often that I try something so unusual, or totally different that it catches my mouth off guard.  You know that feeling when you cannot stop talking about how wonderful your meal is--"this is SO GOOD!"--"here you HAVE to try some of this"--you know what I mean...(at least I hope you do, cause if you don't you aren't eating enough delicious things...)

I came across this recipe today at Veggie Num Num---my favourite vegetarian recipe blog.  The recipes there are so interesting, ethnic, and delicious--if this blog doesn't inspire you to include a meatless meal in your weekly menu, I don't know what will!

This meal is like a little flavour explosion in your mouth--so interesting, so delicious--I can't wait to have it for lunch tomorrow! (...and I know I have blogged about Dal before, but make sure you read to the end of the recipe here--it is the toppings that make all the difference--Flavour. Explosion.That's it.)

Masoor Dal (adapted from Veggie Num Num)

2 cups red lentils rinsed
half can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 onion chopped
1/3 cup fresh green curry paste (or 2 cloves garlic minced, 2 tsp ginger minced, 1tbsp curry powder)
4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water (or any combination of )


Saute onion until just starting to brown.  Add lentils, tomatoes and curry paste.  Cook stirring frequently for a few minutes, adding a cup of stock if necessary to keep it from sticking to the pan.  Add  the rest of the liquid and simmer until liquid has been absorbed and lentils have a thick stew like consistency.


Toppings--use any or all--just wait for the explosion! (I used a little of them each--each mouthful is a little different!)
coconut
cashews
chopped dates (soften them in a little boiling water first)
chopped cilantro
yogurt or sour cream


Serve with steamed rice or naan bread
Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment