Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Food Rules

Over the holidays we had a good laugh with my Dad about his T&T rule...apparently there is an unwritten rule that Turkey and Turnip must always go together.  Who knew?  Not me...I was going to serve squash and roasted carrots, silly me!

It occurred to me how often we place rules around how we eat, what we eat, what should go together, and what should not.  I reflected a little on all the places I have changed or expanded my "food rules" these last few years.  I know there are some more rules to be bent, but I can't tell you how liberating it has been to cook a little bit more outside the box.

I cooked a turkey last weekend--had my parents over to share (...because seriously, 3 people 15lb turkey?).  I cooked my Dad a tiny little turnip, and the rest of us had Cauliflower--I am such a rebel!

Browned Butter and Lemon Cauliflower
 just like it sounds--so delicious!

 1 head cauliflower, cut into bit size pieces
1/3-1/2 pound butter (depending on how big your cauliflower is)
juice of 1 lemon
s&p


Slowly cook the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it starts to brown--watch it and keep stirring it, you don't want it to burn.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice -combine well and pour over hot, cooked cauliflower. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment