Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

In the olden days...

Madeleine is studying "Pioneers" at school right now.  She is loving it, just as I did--I remember my grade 5 project was to learn to bake bread and bring in a loaf to share with the class.  I made it with my Grandma, and I still use the same recipe today...Grandma's Bread Recipe

They made corn bread in grade 3 this week, and Madeleine brought the recipe home, raving about how good it is, and how easy it was to make (...bless Mlle for making it with a whole grade 3 class, brave woman!).
It's amazing how many things have stuck around since "the olden days".  Not only because they are delicious, but because the ingredients are easy to come by, are cost effective and usually pretty easy to make.

Hmm...sounds like a lot of things I make in my kitchen :)

Corn Bread a la Mlle and the Grade 3 Class


1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs 
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt


Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs, mix.  Then add milk, mix.  In another bowl mix cornmeal, flour, soda and salt.  Add to creamed mixture and mix until well combined.  Pour into a greased 9x9 pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment