Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Are you willing?

I have had to ask myself lately, am I willing to spend a few more dollars at the grocery store?

The price of many items have already gone up--as I am sure you have already noticed--but that isn't what I am referring to.

I spent the last few years shaving as much as I could off the bill every month--while still maintaining the freshest food I could, eating good  food that is healthy and tasty.  But as I continue to ask questions about the quality of the food, the integrity with which it is prepared/cared for, and the standards that we have become "used to", I am finding that there are a few things I am willing to admit I am feeling a little uncomfortable about.

Like what you may ask?

Well, for one: eggs.  Standard egg farming practices don't much allow chickens to be chickens--and the more I look into it, the more uncomfortable I become about buying whatever eggs are on sale--when for a little bit more I can buy organic eggs from  certified organic chickens--where they can walk around, pecking until their little chicken hearts are content...hmmm...(for more info on  Ethical Farming in Canada--check here Canadian Coalition of Farm Animals.

~~now if your family is like mine, you will have some "Post-Easter" eggs to eat up --here is one of our favourite ways!  Simple and plain--just perfect!

Devilled Eggs
6 hard boiled eggs*
1/2 tbsp chives finely chopped
1 tsp  mustard (yellow or dijon--both work)
cracked pepper
3-4 tbsp mayonnaise
paprika


Peel eggs and cut in half--carefully scoop out the yolk and place in a bowl.  Mash yolks with a fork. Add all other ingredients (except paprika) and mix well, until fluffy and smooth--add more mayo if you need to.  Divide the yolk mixture among the egg white halves and sprinkle with paprika.


*Tip:  to hard boil eggs without the yolk  turning colour, bring them to a boil for 1 minute.  Cover, turn off heat and let sit until water is cool.  Eggs will be cooked perfectly and the yolk shouldn't be green...



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that recipe! I have 12 eggs that need to be used up. That is 6 eggs taken care of and 6 go to!

    Cheers,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete